I am now a 50 year old manager of a small piece of a very large company that purchased us about 1 year ago. Been into computers since grade school in the late 70's, having spent years working in the field, building, fixing, installing, selling, teaching, gaming, programming and now consulting on all the aforementioned topics. Computing life is good.

Sunday, September 25, 2011

New phone..... (First Impressions)

This weekend I decided to break free of the shackled existence that is the IPhone. While I initially enjoyed the simple interface and limited options that IOS presented to me as the user, two years ago, I have since wanted more. Looking at the android platform, mature a bit, and grow in diversity, I found myself beginning to loath my IPhone and its drones of fanboys all mindlessly parroting the party line. Mostly, I found myself somewhat embarrassed by my own apparent succumbing to the reality distortion field that surrounds that whole walled garden. So this weekend I bit the bullet and upgraded my old phone to a shiny new LG THRILL.


Stats...

1 GHz TI OMAP4430 processor with a dual-channel, dual-memory architecture for power and multitasking efficiency

Brilliant 4.3" 480x800 (WVGA) TFT touchscreen with support for glasses-free 3D viewing

Dual 5 MP high-definition cameras for 3D image and video capture plus a front-facing camera for video chat

8 GB internal memory and an included 8 GB microSD™ card.. (I purchased a 32 gig card because I have over 20 gigs of music.)

Dimensions and weight: 5.07" x 2.68" x 0.47", 5.99 ounce (Its powerful but definitely not svelte)




Overall impressions

The screen is very sharp albeit less so than the screen on the iPhone 4. Much improvement over my older IPhone 3gs.

I find typing on the on-screen keyboard of the android OS more accurate than that of the old phone. The word suggestion feature seems to be more useful as well.

Much is made by the apple camp regarding the massive gap in app availability in the app store over the android marketplace. I can say that so far, I have found everything I needed to replace functions and featured apps I used on my IPhone. Most of which are in fact the same versions I used on my old phone, besides, how many flashlight apps does one need?

The phone is fast, fast, fast. Dual core processor makes the thing just slick, even with all manner of extra stuff all sucking on the battery. Battery life I can see will be short though, for me that has never really been an issue, as I rarely need long battery life. However one thing I do like is the fact that I can replace my own battery with larger capacity batteries without having to send it back to the mothership for the retrofit.

One thing I went to android for is to be able to write code for my phone without having to invest personally in a Mac to do so. Also the native development environment is Java based for the android, conceptually a small transition from my comfort zone in C# vs the chasm that IOS's ObjectC presents.

As I said above I have a 20 gig music library. Plugging my phone into my PC for the first time. I was asked by the phone if I wanted to share the SD card via USB. On doing so, the phones SD card appears as a drive in windows. Copied my whole library over which was not a fast operation even by pokey slow USB 2 standards. Yet on disconnect the phone scanned the SD card and recognized my music. Just like iTunes had it organized. Cover art and all. Definitely a pleasant surprise even moving iTunes to iTunes never went as smooth.

Another feature I wanted to employ was faster Internet where available. I waited 2 years to IPhone to support 4g speeds on ATT and I would still be waiting. I also wanted to tether my phone to my PC in places where I need it, rather than having to use my old aircard. While I can now do so on IOS after paying extra, its still only 3g in places where it could be better. Now I have both, and by ditching my old aircard I can actually save a few bucks each month. Oh and it will also hotspot, so I don't have to actually be tethered to use it.

The android OS supports flash in the browser, and YouTube, so more of the web is available than IOS affords me. Though as a silverlight developer that aspect of the web that I contribute to still is off-limits to my phone

The phone has a number of high end features that frankly feel gimmicky and did not contribute to my purchase decision. Most notable being 3d capable without glasses. In my mind a non feature and frankly I have found it to get in the way from time to time. As they say "nothing is perfect"

There are definite differences between various android implementations. Not all of these are necessarily good though. For example, the new phone contained two types of on-screen keyboards. The standard android keyboard featured haptic feedback where the phone vibrated a little as you single finger type, and the LG keyboard the mimicked the IOS keyboard. No haptic feedback, only audio clues. The LG keyboard doesn't suggest words though. Personally I find the android keyboard better. Choice however, is why I went android in the first place, and the combination of the android OS and the High performance LG Thrill, makes me feel liberated and excited again about my phone and what I can do with it. (Note... after posting this I found a buried setup feature where I could activate items like haptic feedback for the LG keyboard. The primary difference with the LG keyboard being that it looks more like the IOS keyboard as it is implemented.)

Now to install all the Development tools and write a flashlight app 8)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home